The new MV Strangford II ferry, operating between Strangford and Portaferry, has been officially named by HRH the Duke of Kent at a ceremony on board today. Since the new ferry was brought into service in early February it has completed approximately 7000 sailings, with the service providing typically 99.8% availability on an annual basis. During the ceremony, ferry crew member John Nixon was also presented with a commendation from the Royal Humane Society for his bravery and action in assisting in saving the life of a woman during an incident at Portavogie harbour in April 2016. John recovered three people from the water and commenced First Aid support to a woman until the Ards Peninsula First Responders arrived and gave further help. https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/new-strangford-ferry-named-and-bravery-award-crew-member
Strangford II ushers in a new era for historic lifeline ferry link. An historic ferry link. The Strangford Lough Ferry across “The Narrows” between Strangford and Portaferry has existed in one form or another without a break for over 4 centuries, since the time of James I. Records even exist showing that a ferry across Strangford Lough existed as far back as the 1180’s. The current service makes the 0.6nm crossing in around 8 minutes, a significant saving in time from the alternative 47 mile trip by road taking around 90 minutes. A first for Ireland The ferry between Strangford and Portaferry holds the distinction of having the first steam powered ferry in the whole of Ireland, the paddle steamer Lady of the Lake, as far back as 1836. This was some 36 years before Belfast got its first steam powered ferry. Lady of the lake was a paddle steamer built by Alexander McLaine in Belfast and launched ... Read more
Strangford II was built in 2016 by Merseyside's Cammell Laird to a design by BCTQ for the Northern Ireland Department of Regional Development (Now Department of Infrastructure). She replaces the elderly car and passenger ferry MV Strangford as well as the backup passenger ferry MV Rachlyn.
Strangford II floated out at Birkenhead The new Strangford ferry which is currently under construction at Cammell-Laird in Birkenhead passed an important milestone yesterday when she took to the water for the first time having been floated off at around 13:45. She was then towed by Smit Sandon and Smit Waterloo to the wet basin were further work will be completed. The new ship has been named Strangford II and has Belfast as her port of registry, just like her eventual operating partner (and near sister ship) Portaferry II. Strangford II will replace the existing ‘second ship’ Strangford, which is now over 40 years old and nearing the end of her operational life, later this year. Title image: Northern Ireland’s new ferry STRANGFORD II Registered Belfast built at Cammel Lairds was today launched (floated off) Lairds slip at 13:50 moving round to the wet basin dead tow, assisted by Smit Waterloo & Smit Sandon ... Read more